[plug] crashing server

Rob Dunne Rob.Dunne at csiro.au
Wed Sep 15 07:50:07 WST 2004

Hi guys,

         thanks for all the help. I have made some progress.
The program seg faults for me and crashes the machine (freezes it,
I have to press the restart button) when another user runs it.

The difference is I have

% limit | grep core
coredumpsize    0 kbytes

wheres the other user mentions the creation of core files.  If I set
"limit coredumpsize unlimited" then I can crash the machine as well.
In fact if I set
coredumpsize    8192 kbytes
I can crash it.

It seems to me that this program should neither seg fault or crash the
machine. Also if the program creates a core file then that should not
crash the machine either.

The description of the code (dotprod_mutex.c)
is given below.

                                        bye
					rob

/*****************************************************************************
 * FILE: dotprod_mutex.c
 *   This example program illustrates the use of mutex variables
 *   in a threads program. This version was obtained by modifying the
 *   serial version of the program (dotprod_serial.c) which performs a
 *   dot product. The main data is made available to all threads through
 *   a globally accessible  structure. Each thread works on a different
 *   part of the data. The main thread waits for all the threads to complete
 *   their computations, and then it prints the resulting sum.
 *
 * SOURCE: Vijay Sonnad, IBM
 * LAST REVISED: 9/20/98 Blaise Barney

--
Rob Dunne         Fax: +61 2 9325 3200     Tel: +61 2 9325 3263
CSIRO Mathematical and Information Sciences     +61 2 9325 3100
http://www.bioinformatics.csiro.au Email: Rob.Dunne at csiro.au

        Java has certainly revolutionized marketing and litigation.