[plug] crashing server

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Wed Sep 15 10:31:36 WST 2004

I ran the programme under Solaris and found the 32-bit version ran fine
but the 64-bit version crashed. Appeared to be a coding error:

    pthread_join( callThd[i], (void **)&status);

In this case, status had been declared as 'int' instead of void*.
Since the whole status is unused in this appliaction, I just
suggested replacing it with NULL:

    pthread_join( callThd[i], NULL);

An alternative solution would be:

    void* status;
    pthread_join( callThd[i], &status);

But, this still leaves the question...how come the machine dies when
&status is invalid? Is this a bug in the pthread code or a bug in the
crash dumper? Coming back to Rob's initial question, how can this be
reported upstream in a valuable way, and to whom?