[plug] Don't do that!

Xander D Harkness harkness at redhat.com
Thu Sep 16 16:42:30 WST 2004

Cameron Patrick wrote:

>Xander D Harkness wrote:
>

>>PCI - IDE cards are pretty cheap.
>>

>I disagree; they're relatively low volume items and you can buy a
>complete motherboard for about the same cost as a PCI IDE controller.

What you miss here is that if you use a different controller for each
hard drive on basic / cheap mother boards that you are referring to they
only have two controllers, which means you are limited to RAID 0 or RAID 1.

A more expensive motherboard may have four controllers on but these are
usually much more expensive and to get a PCI card for about $10 allowing
RAID 5 and many more disks.

My EPIA board does have a PCI slot and I have a dual riser card in it.

Kind regards
Xander