PLUG Servers WAS Re: [plug] Don't do that!

Scott Middleton scott at LinuxIT.com.au
Thu Sep 16 18:22:59 WST 2004

On Thu, 2004-09-16 at 14:34, Cameron Patrick wrote:
> Matt Kemner wrote:
>
> > Although I'm happy to be hosting the sparc and xbox, I've been doing some
> > consolidation of PCs at home (I've gone from 6 machines constantly running
> > down to 3, and I'm about to reduce that by another one) to try and reduce
> > my skyrocketing power bill, so after that I'm really not too keen on
> > adding yet another machine to the house, especially if it only provides a
> > single service.
>
> That's cool, you've done more than your fair share of helping out with
> the PLUG machines already :-) We'll see if we can find somewhere else,
> then.  As a temporary measure (say for a couple of weeks), I may be
> able to host it at home.  If the committee decide to retire spark
> and/or xbox in favour of the new machine, maybe you'd be happier about
> having it?

Matt and I quickly discussed donating PLUG a UML client on our colo box
at WestNet to be used for the mailing list only (non-WAIX traffic is not
umlimited). I am not sure if we reached consensus though. I recently
moved my UML off so there is room for one. Instead of supplying a whole
machine people could donate a bigger CPU and some more DDR RAM. Since we
also have WAIX only IP addresses there is also some capacity for WAIX
only file serving.

One of the cool things about the PLUG servers is they are not the
classic x86 (except for Xbox which is cool for other reasons).

Just to add to the discussion :)

Regards

--
Scott Middleton <scott at LinuxIT.com.au>