[plug] Monthly rules posting

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Mon Sep 20 01:53:43 WST 2004

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004, James Devenish wrote:

> In message <200409191857.28289.leon at brooks.fdns.net>
> on Sun, Sep 19, 2004 at 06:57:28PM +0800, Leon Brooks wrote:
> > How about a single monthly rules posting which, right at the top as well
> > as in among the rules, mentions that it exists?
>
> Would it be better to make it a new-subscriber e-mail? I imagine it is
> less useful to advise against HTML using a monthly posting because it'll
> arrive too late for new subscribers to get the message.

Perhaps, a solution would be to do both of the above.

Some of the many lists to which I subscribe, send to new subscribers, in
addition to the automated welcome message, a message from the list
administrator, involving a slightly more informative message, which
restates the purpose of the list, and also states various etiquette
requirements and requests, and, including actions that are banned, and
which can lead to banishment or being put on a moderated list, the
moderated list resulting in all messages from an offending subscriber,
to be held in limbo until the list administrator has read and approved
the individual messages for distribution by the list.

Some of the lists, in addition to sending such messages to new
subscribers, send to the list, on a preset date each month, a copy of
that message, or, one similar (with words included, something like
"Hello, I am <name of list administrator>. I administer this list. This
is my monthly reminder of the purpose of the list, and rules and
guidelines that apply to the list", at the start of the monthly
message).

That way, people are informed of the purpose, rules and guidelines of
the list, upon subscribing, and are reminded each month, of those
things. And, people are reminded each month, who the list
administrator(s) is (/are), so they do not need to ask that.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."