[plug] [OT] fear of posting

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Mon Sep 20 13:59:41 WST 2004

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004, Leon Brooks wrote:

> On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 22:01, Senectus . wrote:
> > Its kind of ironic that the one thing that brings this sometimes very
> > dormant mail list alive is a flame war over OT and spelling/grammar
> > Nazi's
>
> s/Its/It's/ (short for "it is")
>
> s/Nazi's/Nazis/ (they don't own anything and it's not a copntraction)

I disagree with you here, Leon (now, isn't that a surprise :) ).

My understanding of the use of an apostrophe, is that is is used where
the plural of the word does not involve an "s" being directly appended
to the word, especially when foreign languare words re converted to
anglicised plural forms. An example, is the word maori (as in the people
who were in New Zealand before the english, but, NOT the native people
of New Zealand. The plural of maori, is not maoris. The word maori, is a
maori word, not an english word, and the letter "s" does not exist in
the maori language. Thus the word maoris is wrong.

Similarly, with the word Nazi.

The word Nazi is not an english word. It is a german term, and I believe
that german words do not use the letter "s" suffixed to the words, to
denote plurals. Thus also, the word Nazis, as opposed to Nazi's, is
wrong.

Apart from that, it is my understanding, that the word Nazi, IS a
contraction.

Nazi - repr. pronunciation of Nati in G. Nationalsozialist.
-cf The Shorter Oxford Dictionary

However, all of this has absolutely nothing to do with Linux, or with
PLUG, or with the open source movement, and, the recent threads about
all of this extraneous stuff, serve no purpose other than to demonstrate
the need for list moderation on this list, which was a thing that Matt
Kemner was reluctant to impose, when he was sole list administrator,
but, it really has to be re-evaluated, now that this list has got
completely out of hand.

It is unfortunate, as these irrelevant arguments are not conducive to
keeping experienced Linux people on the list (is Christian Payne still
around?), and are certainly not encouraging to people new to Linux, or
to people considering moving to Linux.

These arguments only show that this is a community consumed with
internal bickering, that cannot get its act together, leading to the
question - "why should the public take Linux seriously, when those who
are the local Linux community, are a bunch of self-absorbed riff-raff,
who can't stop bickering amongst themselves?"

Sure, people have an obligation to others, to proof-read their messages
before sending them. That applies to anyone that sends a message
anywhere.

But, for a list such as this, to spend so much time and effort shooting
itself in the foot, is denigrating to Linux and to the Linux community.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."