[plug] binutils statically linked

Russell Steicke r.steicke at bom.gov.au
Mon Sep 20 22:53:31 WST 2004

On Mon, Sep 20, 2004 at 10:21:59PM +0800, Craig Dyke wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I have recently been wrestling with looking at building an LFS system.
>
> The first package compiled is binutils which sets up some tools such as
> ar, ld, ranlib and so on.
>
> After issuing all the following as a normal user:
>
> ./configure --prefix=/tools -disable-nls
> make configure-host
> make LDFLAGS="-all-static"
> make install
>
> I am told that :      /tools/bin/ranlib: permission denied
>
> After some investigating, it appears that the tools installed only like
> to be run from /usr/bin.
>
> Would someone please confirm if this is correct?
> If not, please tell me where I have gone wrong?
>
> Craig
>
> PS. I get the same error message if I try to issue:   ld --help
> .... this gives ..... /tools/bin/ld : permission denied
> Also, /tools is owned by the user issuing all commands.

If statically linked, they should run from anywhere.  They should
certainly run in the place you told configure to put them.

Firstly, make sure the files are executable.  They should be, the
linker ensures that (I think, but it could be the gcc wrapper that
does it).  Do "ls -l /tools/bin".

Second thing that could be wrong: is /tools mounted noexec?  "mount"
will tell you if that's the case.

BTW, I've assumed that "make install" actually succeeded, and the
files are in place.

--
Russell Steicke

-- Fortune says: