[plug] Samba server weirdness- uploads work, downloads don't

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Tue Sep 21 14:26:53 WST 2004

I have a Samba server which is playing up.  I can upload files to it,
but can't download files from it.  Downloading either stalls with no
data transferred, or stalls after downloading a file of the right
length but with a bunch of binary goop at the start of it.  This same
behaviour occurs when the client is various versions of Samba, KDE
Konqueror and Windows Explorer on XP.  (The latter crashed entirely
when trying to copy a file.)

I've looked in /etc/samba/smb.conf, and it looks essentially identical
to two working machines (except for the share definitions pointing to
different locations).  I tried upgrading samba to the latest version
in Debian unstable, and reinstalling every samba-related package I
could see, but nothing seems to have helped.

It's not a straight network problem, tcpspray and ssh work fine to
this machine, even for large transfers.

Any suggestions on other things to try?

Cameron.