[plug] Dovecot POP3 problems

Ben Jensz plug at jensz.id.au
Wed Sep 22 10:52:07 WST 2004

I feel like I'm going around in circles with this problem.

I've got a Fedora (core 1) machine setup as a mail server essentially
with Dovecot as the POP3 server.  Now the problem is that one of the
users is having problem retrieving email, same thing seems to happen
with either LookOut or Thunderbird on their computer.  It checks for
email and doesn't find any - even though there is email sitting there
waiting.. occasionally the user will get a non-descript error message
thrown up by their email client, but other than that there doesn't seem
to be anything wrong at the user's end of things.  There are other users
on the LAN with computers with an identical setup (i.e. they were all
imaged) and they aren't having any problems at all like this user is having.

Occasionally this user will get a sudden downpour of their email all of
a sudden coming through alright, but it hasn't done that for at least a
day now.  From the logs dovecot shows this user apparently checking for
new email fine (shows the POP3 logins) - but they don't get any new
email - no errors are being reported.  I've checked the client computer
over and back again and I'd be very surprised if its anything on that...
and on the linux machine I've checked permissions on mail spools etc.
and everything seems in order.

Anyone have any ideas?

TIA. :)

/ Ben