[plug] Setting up a wireless netowrk

James Budworth tsuki_yomi at zephilia.dyndns.org
Wed Sep 22 14:36:16 WST 2004

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004, Jim Householder wrote:

> >Hi List.
> >
> >I intend to set up a wireless link to a friends house who lives
> >4.5kms
> >away and share his ADSL connection. This email is to get my thoughts
> >in
>
> I have 2 thoughts on the matter.
> The first is that your friend's agreement with his/her ISP
> specifically limits service to a single residential address.  Your
> asking for help to violate that agreement is not welcome in this
> mailing list.
>
> The second is technical.  You will probably need additional hardware
> to aim the dishes.  Otherwise you are in for a *lot* of fishing.....
>
> Jim

I don't know about you, but I'm interested.

I was looking into the idea myself at one stage.  My sister-in-law's house
is only about 700m LOS from my own.  Part of the idea was to make it
easier to play network games.

However after taking stock of what I needed I decided to shelve the idea.
However it seems that you have pretty much everything you need already.

Bear in mind that I have not done this myself, this is just what I have
learn online.

It seems that the most important thing you need is for one of the access
points involved be able to use "Client" mode.  This allows it to act like
a standard wifi card.  Not all APs can do this tho.

One local place (somewhere in Perth) that sells all the gear you could
need:
http://www.freenet-antennas.com/

--
James Budworth