[plug] dumb linking Q?

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Thu Sep 23 21:20:41 WST 2004

In message <d12e5c9040923060772b6772f at mail.gmail.com>
on Thu, Sep 23, 2004 at 09:07:13PM +0800, Senectus . wrote:
> How do I make an executable script in my home directory runnable from
> any directory on the CLI ?

The exactly procedure generally depends on what shell you use. If you
are using Bash, you need to let Bash know where to find your executable.
If it is located at ~home/myscripts/blah, then you'd do:

$ export PATH=~home/myscripts:$PATH

However, you'll need to add this to one of your Bash startup files (see
`man bash`) if you want your shell to "remember" this $PATH each time
you open a new terminal window. Alternatively, it is usually possible to
add it in your computer's login options if you desire it to take effect
for all users. Yet another alternative is to move it to a directory that
is already listed in your $PATH (this will need to be done as root). For
example:

$ mv ~home/myscripts/blah /usr/local/bin/blah

or

$ ln -s /usr/local/bin/blah ~home/myscripts/blah