[plug] Non-existent domains with sendmail and fetchmail

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Fri Sep 24 11:33:02 WST 2004

This is one of the reasons that fetchmail-type operations "scare" me. If
I understand the operation correctly, the "holdup" is in the sendmail
daemon that is running on your own host (fetchmail is using it to
deliver the messages it has fetched). Therefore, a safe fix is to let
your copy of sendmail skip the task of sender domain verification (i.e.
behave just like your upstream provider). This will cause the (unwanted)
mail to be delivered successfully, and fetchmail will get rid of it from
the remote server. While this means that you will get those extra junk
messages, your fetchmail task will at least complete promptly and
without the loss of any mail. I suppose you could improve on this by
having sendmail funnel the offending messages into their own junk
mailbox (or /dev/null).