[plug] New PLUG news server

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Wed Sep 29 12:34:26 WST 2004

In message <20040929041914.GG27190 at patrick.wattle.id.au>
on Wed, Sep 29, 2004 at 12:19:14PM +0800, Cameron Patrick wrote:
> > archives and replying out-of-band. Likewise, if you are away for two
> > weeks' break and you disabled your mail subscription, you will be unable
> > to enjoy reviewing the fortnight with your news reader.
> No.  Currently the article expiry for plug.* is set to 60 years or
> thereabouts, so future posts won't be affected.

How do I reconcile this 60-year expiry with Bernd's complaint that
keeping large numbers of messages (e.g. even years' worth) is going
to cause "delays" for people?

> If we get disc space pressure or speed issues on shameless, we may
> have to look into changing this, but for the moment I don't see the
> point in expiring old posts.

Phew, thanks.

> I'm also content to sit back and let the newsgroups populate
> themselves with new messages from the list, unless there's a pressing
> reason why I should feed the mail archives into the news server?

For completeness, accuracy and thread construction the old articles
should be there. If you're content to keep decades of archives, the
past seven should be no problem.