[plug] New PLUG news server

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Wed Sep 29 14:05:51 WST 2004

In message <kuup22x5jb.ln2 at innovative.iinet.net.au>
on Wed, Sep 29, 2004 at 01:48:36PM +0800, Bernd Felsche wrote:
> I'm not interested in a million articles, but you might be
> interested in a hundred out of the million. So the "only" way to
> determine which ones they are out of the million, is to get the
> overview containing key headers for the million.

What does this have to do with the point about putting the archives
into the newsgroup? As far as I'm aware, I was asking whether there
were plans to put the archives into the newsgroup and you said it
would be a pain for people who connect to the server for the first
time. You now seem to be arguing that it is a pain to find a select
number of "important" articles out of a vast number of articles. I
do not know if these are part of the same overall argument, so I will
leave your point uncontested.

> Article expiry in leafnode2 is already thread-based. Active threads
> never expire (overlooking the bug in limiting the length of the
> References header). Threads that aren't active for a pre-determined
> time, are expired.

That is good to know, although the duration of that time has not been
discussed as far as I recall.

> >When you've read and reconstructed the ones you're interested in,
> >you can work your way further backwards. If you don't care for the
> >past, then go recall ZERO messages of the messages and suffer no
> >delays.
>
> Sort of defeats the purpose in having everything in the main
> newsgroup.

Hardly. If a particular individual chooses not to make use of an
archive, it does not inherently invalidate the presence of the archive.