[plug] spamo-disaster :(

Senectus . senectus at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 16:50:48 WST 2004

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 16:34:55 +0800, James Devenish
<devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au> wrote:
> In message <Pine.LNX.4.44.0409291624150.4028-100000 at guild.murdoch.edu.au>
> on Wed, Sep 29, 2004 at 04:28:00PM +0800, Shayne O'Neill wrote:
> > It pans out we are now listed on a bunch of spam db's.
> > Any suggestions on getting off those things?
>
> If you need a rapid fix, change the IP address of your host :-P
>
> PS. I'm not really joking. It's something that you can do under local
> control in an Australian timezone. I don't know how much you can do to
> 'negotiate' with the DBs. (Anyone from UWA know the answer? ;-P)

On the compromised boxes I've had to fix I've just done the human
thing... Rang them, e-mail them (them being the db admins) and told
them that I've fixed the problem, educated people to make sure it
doesn't happen again and asked them to remove the IP from their lists.
Normally it gets done within 24 hours, most times thats acceptable.

oh and altering the IP may not work as many db's like to use names.. :-D

Have a fun day ;-)

--
Nothing dies faster than a new idea in a closed mind.