[plug] New PLUG news server

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Wed Sep 29 19:19:51 WST 2004

James Devenish <devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au> writes:

>In article <4184050.pmVKRKCasH at patrick.wattle.id.au>, Cameron Patrick wrote:
>>  - if leafnode complains about duplicate messages, cancel the original
>>    post and post the message again with the new list appended to the
>>    Newsgroups: headers

Alternatively, Set supersedes to the article ID of the one to be
removed and generate a fresh one for the superseding article.
AFAICT, that works on my system. news.plug has a later alpha
version.

>Intriguing. Is it possible to modify the newspool in situ (rather than
>cancelling), so that the article-numbers of Xrefs are stable? E.g.
>simply amend the message that's sitting in the spool? The method for
>doing this would obviously be highly leafnode2-specific.

The leafnode source tree contains some simple tools for jobs like
that... But usually you can just hack away and run texpire and have
it sweep the shrapnel out of the system.

In this case, and perhaps only in thsi specific case, it may be
sufficient to overwrite the existing article and additionally link
to create the cross-post. Oh yeah; adjust groupinfo accordingly.