[plug] mplayer problem

Jon Miller jlmiller at mmtnetworks.com.au
Sat Apr 2 15:21:47 WST 2005

I've been using mplayer on Novell SuSE Linux  for Desktop, most dvd plays okay, but I have others that states "Can't open VMG info".
Any idea what this means and how to fix it?

In dmesg I have a lot of the following msg repaeated:
ATAPI device hdd:
    Error: Not ready ― (Sense key=0x02)
    Incompatible medium installed ― (asc=0x30, ascq=0x00)
    The failed "Read Cd/Dvd Capacity" packet command was:
    "25 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00"

Could this error be due to the dvd being a dual layer, if so how can I identify if it's a dual layer.  The dvd plays great on my laptop w/xp