[plug] Gimpshop - Good or Bad

Timothy White weirdo at tigris.org
Sat Apr 2 15:05:11 WST 2005

Alex Nordstrom wrote:

>I agree about the menus. The Layer menu contains a lot of things that
>don't belong there. The Tools menu is a cobweb of tools available from
>the toolbox and things that aren't, such as the Colour Tools submenu.
>Incidentally, since the Colour picker *is* available through the tool
>box, it's can't go into that submenu, but instead it sits directly in
>the Tools menu. Colour picker not a colour tool? What the? Granted,
>version 2 was a big improvement.

Yes. I agree with this.

>As for the quickmask button, I'd say quickmask is more of a special
>editing mode than a tool, so it makes sense not to have it in the
>toolbox. In case you didn't realise, to toggle it, it's the little
>dashed square in the bottom left of any image window.
>

>>The current GIMP UI is also somewhat odd in the modern world - you
>>don't seem many apps driven by context menus. That alone might be an
>>issue, simply because it can be somewhat offputting initially.
>>

>That was my main annoyance with the 1.x series. Version 2 nicely leaves
>that as an option but also gives you menus at the top of the window.

Yes. As well as nice docking of dialogues.

>>>What does gimp do better than photoshop with regards to interface?
>>>

>Dynamic keyboard shortcuts that you can assign on the fly by hovering
>your mouse over the menu item and pressing a key. (You may need to turn
>this on under Preferences/Interface.)

Nice, thanks for that.

>Dockable dialogues. Apart from the images, my Gimp is a single window.

For me it is usually 2 windows depending on what I am doing. I dislike
having something take up the whole screen. Being a web developer means I
sometimes need to be looking at pictures are pages while working on
graphics. With a full screen app I can't easily do this but with the
GIMP I can put everything where I want it and still see what is underneath.

>I could also think of a few functional requirements fulfilled by the
>Gimp and not immediately by Photoshop and vice versa. Doing a bit of
>digital photography ending up as black and white, I would really like
>to see a feature for manipulating the colour balance when converting to
>monochrome in Gimp. Once I get the time and bandwidth back, I might
>have a look at Cinepaint and see if it meets my needs.

I originally started on GIMP before using Fireworks and Photoshop. I've
grown to like working in the GIMP because I have it set up for what I'm
doing. No extras that I don't need. e.g. I can have just the image open
and all other dialogues minimised when  working on a correcting a photos
colour. I also like being able to do everything from the image window
and only having the others visible when I need it. e.g. cloning, I can
have things as big as possible on my nice 21" screen so that I get it
just right.

You ether like it or hate it but at least you can change it.

Tim

--
Tim White - Use the Fox, Luke!
PGP/GPG id: 602E944D, Pub Key Serv: subkeys.pgp.net