[plug] mplayer problem

John Knight anarchist_tomato at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 3 13:38:46 WST 2005

libdvdcss is always the first thing to check. In order to play encrypted
DVDs (99 percent of 'em nowdays), Linux needs a 'code-breaker', which
decrypts the info on the DVD. Libdvdcss is always being updated, so it's
always worth getting a new one (follow Garry's link). SuSE have a tendency
to cripple packages for legal reasons, leaving partially working programs.

It's always a good idea to try installing something from source,
particularly MPlayer, as it's a universal way of installing (if not a little
bit tricky). If you're a Linuxnewbie or a recent convert, there are more
user friendly players available, like xine, Ogle, or VideoLAN Client. I
favour xine and only really use MPlayer for video files, encoding DVDs to
divx and a last resort player. MPlayer's great, I ove it, but it's not
really designed around DVD playing, xine's best for it, nice and user
friendly. :)

"...it was brilliant, there was three up against a thousand, and boy, did we
give those three heaps!"