[plug] Web access *FROM* China

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Mon Apr 4 13:10:55 WST 2005

On Mon, 2005-04-04 at 11:45 +0800, Evert van Dijk wrote:

> This seems like a good technical solution, how ever I might throw some
> mud into the mix. If China is intent on keeping certain content out of
> the country there might be some law in place that forbids any attempts
> to access to those  ip addresses and/or ports. I would hate for your
> friend to be forcibly removed and denied acces to China in the future if
> she is required to be there for work.

That's a good point, and one I intended to make myself. Thanks for
bringing it up.

While I never had any problems with this approach, the person I was
dealing with was a US/Australian expat working in China temporarily. I'm
not entirely sure I'd feel comfortable advising the same thing for a
Chinese citizen.

On the flip side, though, there's so much encrypted traffic flowing
through the 'net now (hooray!) that it's not really reasonable to
automatically consider someone using an encrypted transport as having
something to hide. Also, they're already using skype, which is an
encrypted service opaque to the firewall.

Of course, it might be that simply accessing the proxy is not legal /
allowed / whatever. I don't know. All I can say is that I've never had
problems when setting this sort of thing up before.

--
Craig Ringer