[plug] OT: Mobile reception boost

Senectus . senectus at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 12:42:15 WST 2005

On Apr 5, 2005 12:25 PM, Carl Gherardi <carl.gherardi at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I'm about to get on the phone and do some research into how I can
> boost the mobile phone reception in my home.
>
> I live in a mobile dead spot, but can get clear reception out the
> front of my house, and while standing on a 2 foot wall limestone in my
> back garden(!). When my phone is inside people calling me get the 'out
> of mobile range' response for aboiut 95% of calls, making my mobile
> almost useless. (note I live in East Vic Park, not in the sticks
> somewhere)
>
> I have a hunch that the building materials of my house affect this directly.
>
> Has anyone hit this previoiusly and investigated a solution such as an
> antenae of some sort?

In Kalgoorlie we used a "car kit" with big arsed 4x4 designed antenna,
to boost the phone reception ability but this only works while the
phone is docked.

There are "booster" kits on the "black market" but be aware all the
ones I've seen will earn you the Ire of Telstra if you use them.. and
in some cases with earn you a fine as well. (something about them
disrupting that cell.)

--
Ubuntu Hoary 5.04
"The thing Ubuntu means to me is, I'm glad I didn't get a Debian