[plug] [OT] PDF Conversions

Timothy White weirdo at tigris.org
Fri Apr 8 01:43:20 WST 2005

Mark O'Shea wrote:

>But you could also use the ready made utilities that you mention to
>convert it to text or postscript.  Now my experience is that if you use
>the utility from xpdf (pdftops) it will create a postscript file with
>the text in it.  I haven't found that it produces images, but of course
>that doesn't mean that it doesn't, just that it never has for me.  Have
>you tried checking the man page to see if you need any extra options for
>your purposes?  The utility which relies on ghostscript (pdf2ps) I have
>found does produce images, and so I probably wouldn't use it for this.

Ok, my mistake. pdftops does give the correct ps. Unfortunately it still
doesn't help. It appears that the text is still in some obscure format.
I was hoping for something as easy as a regex like s/Text in PDF/New
text for PS/ and being able to modify the ps like that. I had a simple
text document which I converted to ps and I could do this. But these
more complex documents and other PS files I have created from documents,
while retaining text as text, they seem to obscure the text.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Tim
--

Tim White - Use the Fox, Luke!
PGP/GPG id: 602E944D, Pub Key Serv: subkeys.pgp.net