[plug] [OT] PDF Conversions

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Fri Apr 8 08:44:37 WST 2005

Craig Ringer <craig at postnewspapers.com.au> writes:

>The only tools I know of that can really significantly edit PDF are
>Adobe Acrobat Professional ($$), which is still quite limited, and
>PitStop Professional, which can perform major PDF surgery and make major
>changes relatively easily, but is even more expensive than Acrobat and
>works as a plugin for Acrobat (so you need both). I'm not aware of any
>decent PDF editing tools that can be downloaded for free, let alone any
>open source ones (though I'd be glad to be informed if there are any I
>don't know of).

Another commercial package that can load PDFs for editing is
PageStream; somewhat cheaper than Adobe.
	http://www.grasshopperllc.com/

If you wanted to change files on the fly, using a script, it would
be possible using PageStream as it can be driven by Python, but
AFAICT, it still needs the GUI up and running.

>My personal advice - and remember that I'm no expert in this myself -
>would be to find a simpler, nicer way if at all possible. Failing that,
>you may want to spend some time looking over the (extremely extensive)
>PDF and PostScript documentation. Who knows, perhaps you can come up
>with a new and useful OSS tool for manipulating PDF...

PDFs can also be viewed by GhostView; so there's source code
available out there to interpret the internal objects.

First, go back to the original requirements and see if the job can
be done differently.