[plug] MandrakeSoft Changes name to Mandriva

Richard Meyer meyerri at westnet.com.au
Fri Apr 8 14:22:54 WST 2005

On Fri, 2005-04-08 at 11:55 +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Apr 2005, Muskie Teh Otterboi wrote:
>
> > 2. The long-winding trademark lawsuit with Hearst Corporation has
> >  reached a point where we decided it is more reasonable for us to
> >  move forward. By adopting a new name, we eliminate the liability
> >  attached to the Mandrakesoft name and we can focus on what is
> >  important to us: developing and delivering great technology and
> >  solutions to both our customers and our user community.
> >

> It's probably a bit off-topic, but what was the lawsuit with the Hearst
> Corporation, about?

Hearst corporation owned a cartoon (or something) named "Mandrake the
Magician". With MDK using the name, and the wizard and wand, and star in
their logos, Hearst corp decided that they were infringing copyright
(IIRC).

In the early days of MDK, they admitted that that's where the name and
logo came from, so they really didn't have too much of a leg to stand
on.