[plug] [OT] Possible fire hazard

Onno Benschop onno at itmaze.com.au
Fri Apr 8 16:16:22 WST 2005

W.Kenworthy wrote:

>Mind you I think AUSTEL are picky if you have any cabling that isnt
>installed by them, and is attached to Telsta stuff, even remotely.  So
>they may come down on the agents side - if installed by someone without
>an AUSTEL licence, it is hazardous by definition from their lofty
>position.

IMHO, this is rubbish. Ethernet cables are not in any way connected to
Telstra stuff. The law applies to the stuff before you get to a
wall-socket - between the exchange and the wall in your house.

Ethernet is an internal cable between Ethernet devices.

If you were correct then it would be illegal to install a telephone
extension lead, or for that matter, to sell one.

>Then again, cables across a floor would probably contravene all sorts of
>health and safety rules as well, and would be unlikely to pass an AUSTEL
>standard for installation.

Again, this has nothing to do with AUSTEL - or more accurately ACA.
Occupational Health and Safety also does IIRC not apply in your own
home, though I suspect that if you were to take out insurance to cover
clients visiting you at home, this may be an issue.

>I suspect you are on a loser ... cut your losses and move to wireless.

<Cynical>Have you any shares in a wireless company?</Cynical>

Over to Richard's actual issue.

Suggestions that there is some sort of interaction between the owner and
the Agent is really moot, because at the end of the day, that is the
whole point from the owner's perspective.

Some ideas that come to mind:

   1. As others have pointed out, Ethernet can run 100m end-to-end. Put
      the cable(s) under the carpet, out of sight = out of mind.
   2. If the owner is happy for you to use Ethernet cables in their
      house, get them to put it in writing and present the Agent with it.
   3. Get the Agent to put their complaint in writing, then head over to
      the Tenants Advice Service (WA) http://www.taswa.org/

Good luck and let us know how you went.

--
Onno Benschop

Connected via Optus B3 at S25°34'41" - E152°35'34" (Graham's Creek, QLD)
--
()/)/)()        ..ASCII for Onno..
|>>?            ..EBCDIC for Onno..
--- -. -. ---   ..Morse for Onno..