[plug] Ethernet distances was [OT] Possible fire hazard

Nathan D natdan at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 18:24:03 WST 2005

On Apr 8, 2005 4:25 PM, rpowersau at gmail.com  wrote:
> On Apr 8, 2005 4:16 PM, Onno Benschop  wrote:
> >    1. As others have pointed out, Ethernet can run 100m end-to-end. Put
> >       the cable(s) under the carpet, out of sight = out of mind.
>
> Anybody ever get 100m at 100 mb? I have a length about 60 and it won't
> work unless I use a 10mb hub.

I'll ask the obvious question first about wiring being 100% correct in
the lead that you are using?  Going back quite a while I used
"straight through" wiring for straight through leads and never had any
problems, no need for that fancy twisty, swapping bits.  It wasn't
until I graduated out of single room wiring to the other end of the
house that I realised this lead would not work.  Link lights came on
at both ends, but that was it :(  Correct terminations were then
essential !!

Correct terminations and checking for physical damage is where I would
start, and then possibly alternative machines or NICS at the end of
the cable run to see if anything is singled out?

Good luck.

regards,
  Nathan D.

natdan at gmail.com