[plug] [OT] Possible fire hazard

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Sat Apr 9 12:00:21 WST 2005

Craig Ringer <craig at postnewspapers.com.au> writes:
>On Fri, 2005-04-08 at 20:27 +0800, Bernd Felsche wrote:
>> "W.Kenworthy" <billk at iinet.net.au> writes:
>>
>> >Then again, cables across a floor would probably contravene all
>> >sorts of health and safety rules as well, and would be unlikely to
>> >pass an AUSTEL standard for installation.

>> Sure; that's why I hang cables from the ceiling wherever possible or
>> gaffer-tape them to the floor. Using OH&S-compliant gaffer tape!

>Permit me to say "Arrggh!" and "Conduit, dammit!"

It's much easier to trip over a conduit than a taped-down cable.

A conduit is "the right thing", but in this case, where the landlord
wouldn't appreciate the tenant chasing a line through the tiles with
a cutting disc to allow the conduit to be flush with the floor, the
"temporary" tape solution works well enough for a while.

Conduits also require fastening; even along skirting boards. If you
put a cable through a fixed conduit, you're also on the margin of
installing fixed cabling... requiring a licence; even though it's
never connected to anything outside the building.