[plug] Slow System Clock

Timothy White weirdo at tigris.org
Sun Apr 10 13:20:16 WST 2005

William Kenworthy wrote:

>Tim, have a read of the ntp docs at ntp.org on why ntpdate is not a good
>idea, and why it is deprecated in favour of ntpd.  PC time is a very
>complex thing: i.e., the kernel keeps track of perceived drift.  If this
>gets out of spec, you start to see time gain/loss like you have -
>ntpdate just sets the time, it wont fix drift problems like ntpd can.

Yes. I already knew about ntpd over ntpdate. It's was just that since
getting the new hardware I had noticed a sudden loss of time so wanted
to see how much was being lost (and thought is was just the motherboard
clock out until it occurred again)
I already used ntpd.

>  --snip
>A possible fix: delete /etc/adjtime, /etc/ntp.drift (if it exists) while
>all ntp like programs are not running.  The run ntpd pointing to some
>local and stable servers in order for the correct drift correction data
>to be set.  If correctly setup, this will write the drift correction
>factor.

Hmm, I forgot that each machine will have different drift factors and
stuff. Cleared /etc/adjtime and /var/lib/ntp/ntp.drift so will see how
it goes now. (I also added better time servers)

Thanks

Tim

--
Tim White - Use the Fox, Luke!
PGP/GPG id: 602E944D, Pub Key Serv: subkeys.pgp.net