[plug] KDE on Mandrake some questions

Alex Nordstrom lx at se.linux.org
Thu Apr 14 20:38:35 WST 2005

Hi Innis,

You'll have a better chance of attracting replies if you start a new
thread rather than simply reply and change the subject line. Most mail
readers thread messages using information that does not get cleared
when changing the subject.

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 19:41, Innis Cunningham wrote:
> Running KDE on Mandrake 10.
> Two questions
> 1)Where are the KDE files on my system?.
> I have looked in USR and other places but can't
> find them.

It depends on which KDE files you are looking for. Configuration files
are generally found in /etc or your home directory. Icons, sounds and
so on are usually under /usr/share (a lot of KDE stuff is
under /usr/share/apps). Can you be more specific with respect to what
files you are looking for?

I'm not familiar with Mandrake, but it is possible that they are using
the silly /opt directory. If you have installed it by compiling it
yourself, it would probably reside under /usr/local (but then you would
probably know that).

> 2)The writing under the icons on my desktop have a shadow
> under them is there a way of removing this feature.If so where
> should I look?.

Right-click on the desktop and select "Configure Desktop" from the
context menu. Now do the illogical thing of clicking the "Advanced"
button in the "Background" view of that dialogue window. A new dialogue
window will appear, where you can uncheck the "Enable shadow" option. I
can't blame you for not finding that.

> Also I have tried using the CP command to move directory files
> on my system but each time I get a "omitting directory" warning and
> nothing gets copied.What am I doing wrong?.

From man 1 cp:

      -R, -r, --recursive
              copy directories recursively

> And if I change the permissions for a directory will this change the
> permissions
> for all the subdirectories and files in the main directory or do I
> have to go and
> change the permissions of every file separately?.

chmod operates on files. Directories are considered files. To recurse,
use the -R option or --recursive option as with cp. (For no obvious
good reason, lowercase -r does not work.)

Since it's often a good idea to have the executable bit set for
directories to enable searching but not on most files, one can use the
find command to set different permissions for files and directories.

Let's say we do

chmod -R 700 ./pictures/

which will give read, write, and seach/execute permissions to the owner
for all files in ./pictures/ and its subdirectories. We now want to
make sure that plain files (that are not directories) have read and
write permissions for the owner, so we do something like:

find -type f -exec chmod 600 {} \;

See man find for details on how this works, if you are interested.

--
Alex Nordstrom
http://lx.n3.net/