[plug] Software/Method Suggestions for Gateway

Timothy White weirdo at tigris.org
Tue Apr 19 09:29:07 WST 2005

I'm looking at rebuilding my gateway computer, probably will use Debian
Testing like before, although am looking at Ubuntu (Hoary) to see how
well that will work for a server, I'll be using that on the Desktops.

I am looking for suggestions/methods for accomplishing some things. Some
of it requires X which is accessed via a VNC terminal server but I am
able do all the work in a terminal so I'm not scared.

I'm looking for a way to 'shape' and prioritise traffic.
All the computers use LineControl to dialup so I can run a firewall rule
for each computer to give them access to the Internet when they say they
are connected.
The firewall rules will allow all computers on the network access to
pop, imap, and smtp regardless of their LC state.
But I need each computer to get an equal share of the bandwidth and also
for traffic priotising to occur (so web browsing can continue while
files are being downloaded, and so that mail (smtp,pop) also keep
flowing while lots of people are using the net.
Anybody know of a way to do this?

Also Dad wants to have a graphical tool that will allow him to view all
connections from the LAN to the Internet, it needs to show destination,
source, type, rate up/down, and if possible what service it is (ssh,
http, imap, pop...) all in real time. Any suggestions? All the
connections are NATed or through the transparent Squid Proxy.

Thanks

Tim

p.s. Please excuse the bad grammar above, if it sounds like gibberish
then it's due to my lack of sleep, sorry

--
Tim White - Use the Fox, Luke!
PGP/GPG id: 602E944D, Pub Key Serv: subkeys.pgp.net