[plug] Hardware question

hooker at iinet.net.au hooker at iinet.net.au
Tue Apr 26 21:14:30 WST 2005

Quoting "hooker at iinet.net.au" <hooker at iinet.net.au>:
> Recently I bought an Adaptec 2410sa (SATA RAID controller) for a brand new
> machine that I'm building. The card is supported by RedHat 9 according to
> the
> docs, but I just can't get the damned thing working.
>
> I've built the RAID-5 array, the motherboard BIOS finds the card OK, and the
> card reports that it really does have a RAID array waiting. When I use the
> driver floppy that I've created from the Adaptec CD the RedHat installer
> finds
> the device (/dev/sda1), but once installation is complete and I reboot the
> machine I get "unsatisfied external reference" messages from the module and
> the
> kernel can't find the device.
>
> Has anyone else tried this particular Adaptec card? I really want the machine
> work, and steadfastly refuse to load Windoze, but this is getting beyond a
> joke.

I know it's not the "done thing" to reply to your own email, but I've fixed it,
and perhaps someone out there in plug-land may find the answer useful.

It looks like creating and using the driver disk during the install doesn't
work. Instead, I eventually found a PDF file on another CD which showed how to
install the driver on a running system. Did it, and it worked.

So, I now have a 700Gb RAID-5 array happily working. I'd have perferred Debian
(anyone for a religious war?), but RH will do just fine.

Hook