[plug] Linux on a USB stick

Adam Davin byteme-its at westnet.com.au
Tue Aug 2 13:45:38 WST 2005

Hello All,

On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 02:11:16 +0800
Craig Ringer <craig at postnewspapers.com.au> wrote:

> On Mon, 2005-08-01 at 20:39 +0800, Timothy White wrote:
>
> Yep, seconded and then some. Until the latest round of GNOME I used
> XFCE4 on my main desktop, which is *definitely* not short on
> resources.
>
> The main issue you'll run into is if you want a GUI file manager. XFFM
> is in my view unusuable (but then, I rate any GUI file manager on any
> platform as "almost passable" at best). If you want Nautilus or
> Konqueror you're going to find they pull in most of the libraries and
> helper daemons you were trying to get rid of. As a happy user of the
> traditional file manager "the shell" for 95% of my file management
> tasks, this doesn't bother me one bit.

I switched from 'E' which was giving me all sorts of headaches with
window placements to XFCE4 a few months back and have found it great.
The only thing I miss is different desktop backgrounds for different
virtual desktops and being able to drag and place windows in the pager
_exactly_ where you want them on the screen. The later I have learned to
make do without, the former I would still like to see implemented.

The filemanager under XFCE is a "nice idea"(tm) but it is a bit unwieldy
at times. Usually I drop to a terminal and run midnight commander. I
found an X replacement XNC, however XNC does not seem to use shell
expansions and this can become rather annoying at times especially when
~bin/someprogram doesn't work and cp * somedest.. etc

Regards,

--

Adam Davin
Byteme IT Services