[plug] Funny Characters Displayed in Website

Timothy White weirdit at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 18:01:35 WST 2005

Ok, so it appears that I have a locale problem or character encoding problem.
I get funny looking characters (including boxes with digits inside,
which i know appear when you try and use a character that isn't in
that char map) dotted throughout the site. This happens at a number of
websites.
For example http://www.alcoa.com/australia/en/info_page/bauxite_residue.asp
I have a screen shot for those that don't understand what I'm talking about.
http://weirdo.bur.st/funnychars.jpg
I've tried my locale with iso.... and utf-8. Nether seem to make a
difference. The website detects as UTF-8.

Any ideas? I'm sure it's simple, I've lived with the nuisance long enough.

Tim