[plug] 2.6 Kernels, Upgrading from kernel with devfs, to kernel without

Timothy White weirdit at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 18:41:11 WST 2005

Ok, more reading on the net has lead my to the IDE drivers them
selves. It appears that for some reason lots of 2.6 kernel configs
seem to have them compiled as modules by default. Of course this means
they are available when the system starts. Not a problem if your
booting from SCSI, big problem if you are booting from ATA devices.
----
CONFIG_IDE=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDISK=y
----
I'm recompiling now (shouldn't take long, love AMD64) so will report
back with a hopefully success story shortly. Otherwise, I'll be back
for more thoughts.

Tim