[plug] Canon MPC190 drivers

Milan Pospisil pospim at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 22:07:29 WST 2005

On 8/4/05, rpowersau at gmail.com <rpowersau at gmail.com> wrote:
> Last year this mob said they had linux drivers for the mpc190:
>
> http://www.turboprint.de/english.html

Yeah, I've been there and read some of the related stories on the net.
 As I said before - no joy.

> I downloaded them and they wouldn't work. They have since removed it from
> their list of supported printers. I've been looking for about a year and
> haven't found anything.
>
> Canon doesn't even support the mac for this printer.

That is not very nice of Canon. A doze of PITA, IMHO.
  But looking at it from the positive side: MPC 190 does not have any
ink control devices i.e. one can remove/replace the ink cartridges as
many times as practically possible and as long as one complies with
the laws of physics things are fine.
  There is no circuitry to identify a genuine cartridge replacement or
genuine ink usage level or any of that kind of rip off merchandise.
  Moreover, the cartridges(both colour and BW) can be  easily refilled
and also physically separated from the jets for easy access/cleaning.
The sad fact remains that there don't seem to be any Linux drivers
available,ATM.
 OK, I may have some spare hardware around to build a doze box for the
specific purpose to run this printer, but will I be able to send files
in the direction Linux-> Windows, save the files in Windows and print
them? I have never done this before, I always looked at Windows files
from the Linux side and processed them from there.
  Any suggestions/advice/idea in that general direction would be
greatly appreciated.
                     MP