[plug] Help needed - hackers/crackers and monolithic kernels

Shayne O'Neill shayne at guild.murdoch.edu.au
Fri Aug 5 12:01:45 WST 2005

The problem really with the hypothesis that kernel messaging is the cause
of all this kernel 'sploiting, is that "messaging" in its true sense of
the term really only emerged in linux around DBUS or whatever its called.

Truth be told, most of the kernel 'sploits are more to do with buffer
smashes, locking shenanigans and other out-of-bound value type stuff.
Something no design except good design can prevent.

Ultimately the only defence against kernel exploits on any OS, is to not
let em in in the first place.

--
Freedom's just another word for something new to regulate