[plug] Linux laptops - yeah, they've been done before, but ....

Hennie Strydom hennie.strydom at telkomsa.net
Sat Aug 6 01:38:51 WST 2005

On Thu, 2005-08-04 at 21:10 +0800, Richard Meyer wrote:
> Hi Plugoids,
>
> I was looking around and found
> http://store.agearnotebooks.com/asusz33ac.html which is the
> customization site for the ASUS Z33A-C models and from the site it looks
> like you can choose NOT to have an MS OS installed on the lappy.
>
> Does anybody have one, who can confirm this?
>
> Does anyone know how Linux-friendly this machine is? I'm heading off to
> Linux-laptops for an international opinion, there. ;-)

I do not know the model, but did find the following review:
http://www.linuxelo.com/node/9358
which states, amongst lots of other things:
"For those interested in Linux on the Z33a, I installed Ubuntu Linux
5.04 and everything worked except for the wireless. This is a known
issue with the Intel 2200 wireless card and there is a How-To available.
I haven't gone through the How-To yet to get the wireless working."

This might be a very different model than the Z33A-C, can't say, but
there is at least hope.  However, before you rush off and buy Asus in
order to run Linux, read:
http://www.mozillaquest.com/Linux04/Asus_Sucks_Story-01.html
This is just over a year ago.  I do not know if their attitude towards
Linux improved, but if not you may be in for some trouble given
that most notebooks are quite proprietary.

Regards
  Hennie