[plug] Re: I/O to 2.5" HDD

Harry McNally harrymc at decisions-and-designs.com.au
Sat Aug 6 16:59:31 WST 2005

rpowersau at gmail.com wrote:
> On 8/5/05, Harry McNally <harrymc at decisions-and-designs.com.au> wrote:
>
>>Daniel Pearson wrote:
>>
>>>Howdy
>>>
>>>If possible need to borrow one for a few hours, unless someone knows of
>>>another way to pull files off a 2.5" hdd?
>>
>>Convert to 3.5" IDE cable with:
>>http://melbourne.anyware.com.au/cache/_v3cmditem.eexe?id=549
>
> Be careful. I don't know what you're going to use as a power supply but I
> don't think the 2.5 takes 12 volts.

No, it's ok. You are correct that the 2.5" drive runs from a single 5
volt supply.

If you look at the image link you'll see that the black molded body has
pins on the back for the 3.5" IDE cable and a red and black wire (5
volts) that run to a molex socket that connects to any of the 3.5" drive
plugs on the PSU loom.

So the molex socket only has pins for the 5 volt supply that it wants
from the PSU loom drive plugs. The adaptor is built for the task Daniel
has in mind.

Harry