[plug] large files and mp3 encoding

Richard Meyer meyerri at westnet.com.au
Wed Aug 10 16:47:30 WST 2005

On Wed, 2005-08-10 at 16:16 +0800, Timothy White wrote:
> On 8/10/05, Mike Holland <myk.list at westnet.com.au> wrote:
> > Richard Meyer wrote:
> > > Just opened "grip" and saw that apart from flac, oggenc and lame, it can
> > > use l3enc, xingmp3enc and mp3encode.
> >
> > Thanks, but as far as I can see, grip is only for CD-ripping.
> > And it actually execs the lame program to do the encoding, so doesn't
> > bypass the broken front-end.
>
> What I think Richard was saying was seeing as grip can use l3enc,
> xingmp3enc, gogo and mp3encode to do the encoding, maybe try one of
> those encoders instead of lame. He wasn't saying use Grip, just that
> they are encoders it supports.

Um, yes, in my own semi-literate way, that's what I was saying (I
thought)  ;-)

If you open grip and go to "config", and look under "rip" it gives you a
choice of rippers (mine is set at cdparanoia), if you look under
"encode" it gives you a choice of encoders, some of which were the
encoders I mentioned.

Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation.
                -- Johnny Hart