[plug] terminal emulators fail to start

Rennie rennie.barnett at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 12:11:36 WST 2005

Hi all,

I've installed vnc with xfce4 (& icewm) on our Debian stable server. All
seems OK except I cannot start _any_ terminal-emulator from the desktop.

When I click the xterm or xfterm icon nothing - no error message - nothing.

Other apps seam to work OK firefox, file manager etc. It seems that
anything that requires a terminal just won't run.

All works OK if I login (via vnc ...) as root.

Any clues what might be going on or where I might find error output etc.

Cheers,

Rennie.

P.S. I have a feeling this might be related to my problem with screen
were it gives "sorry, no more PTYs" when I run it as anybody other than
root.