[plug] gentoo

Jim Householder nofixed at westnet.com.au
Fri Aug 12 22:14:41 WST 2005

Greetings

I have just finished (after about 48 hours elapsed) a minimal stage 1
installation using the LXF68 DVD.  WOW.  Interesting exercise.  Only 2
minor hiccups, and it seems like I need something called netmount.

Since I'm tired of chasing RPMs for Mandrake, I'll give gentoo a serious
go.  After I've finished building a basic system with networking I'll
have to make backups so I don't have to spend another 2 days next time.
  Good incentive!  I could probably do it in one if I kept at it...

The hiccups were
1.  I used "make && make modules_install && make install" and failed to
notice that "make install" did not run.  When installing grub I found
/boot empty!  make install fixed things.

2.  The example in the handbook on the DVD used
       root (hd0,0)
       kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda3
which got me a file-not-found message.  Changing it to
       kernel (hd0,0)/vmlinuz... worked.

Full credit, and then some, go to people who can put together procedures
with so many steps that Just Work(tm).

I think that next time (most likely will be...) I will change the bash
prompt to include a timestamp so I can have a record of each step's
duration.

Jim