[plug] Intro and Query on installing Linux on a Satelite A10 Laptop

Mark Bolton voperth at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 15 19:37:37 WST 2005

Ladies and Gentlemen,

My name is Mark Bolton.

I was referred to PLUG by Harry McNally of Computer
Angels. I am interested in Pod casting and have done
quite a few spoken word recordings in my home studio,
and had a bit of a flutter on mp3.com a while back. I
have trained as a Narrator and done voice overs for a
few documentaries with Videomakers WA.

I have a mind to setup pod casts and / or
instructional media for Computer Angels to "pay my
dues" as it were.

In keeping with the pod casting, bloging, open
slather, philosophy I would like to have a crack at
using open source OS / Applications.

As a starter I would like to install Linux on my
Toshiba satellite A 10 laptop. Dual Boot? In spite of
my involvement in Industrial Electronics  (I have a
Diploma in Electronics ,old skool 80s, and done
machine language programing on a PDP 8? and 6800
uProcessor) I am not a power user.   I have installed
Linux on a few machines but never really got my teeth
into it. I am a bit of a bush mechanic and feel
frustrated that I haven't the smarts to "pop the hood
" and get in to fix a problem at a configuration level
when windows wizards don't work.

What finally prompted me to invest some time in
getting to the fundamentals was trying, with limited
success, to get my laptop to blue tooth my nokia
phone.

Guys, I don't even know what I don't know. Mea culpa.

I wont frighten anyone (least of all myself) by
discussing what I ultimately want to set up in my
studio. Let's just start with "from A to B and back
again".

I tend to be impatient and want to just "get it going"
as a result, I tend to forget my work arounds and not
take the time to fully tweak my system. There is
always a dilemma of going for the quick and dirty
solution - resulting in wasting time with a messy and
ill considered system - and wasting hours obsessively
and pointlessly nerding around.

I am no stranger to the newbie / mentor symbiosis. I
have taught quite a few people basic HTML. I hate it
when the newbie is lazy and wants spoon feeding, or,
wont follow your project outline and ends up doing
something really lame because it looks like a short
cut.

Look forward to the pleasure of meeting you, hopefully
at the next workshop.

Kindest of regards

Mark