[plug] The clarion voice of sanity in a slashmob of chaos.

Senectus . senectus at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 09:53:50 WST 2005

On 8/17/05, simon <simon at plumtek.com> wrote:

!

You know that's an interesting point.
There is no reason legal or even moral, as to why the likes of
Microsoft _couldn't_ release their own distro with the name Linux.

None whatsoever.
What they CAN'T do, and the reason why (I believe) the trademark needs
to be registered and enforced is produce a product called "Linux"
_that is NOT Linux_.

For instance if the decided that "Vista" isn't a good enough name, and
they decided to name "Longhorn" "Windows Vista"... THEN I'm all for
it.

--
Ubuntu Hoary 5.04
"Luminocity is a cracktastic technology testbed for Metacity." - From