[plug] The clarion voice of sanity in a slashmob of chaos.

Leon Brooks leon at cyberknights.com.au
Wed Aug 17 12:04:49 WST 2005

On Wednesday 17 August 2005 10:23, simon wrote:
> Leon Brooks (leon at cyberknights.com.au) wrote:
>>  2. some serious people have stopped playing nice.

> examples? I was chasing some examples yesterday, but all I could find
> was 'linuxchix', which I believe wasnt even in australia.

The SCO Group, with their assorted, aborted Copyright, Patent, Trademark
and other "Intellectual Property" claims. Imagine the damage if they
actually _had_ a trademark on "Linux". Or don't. D'ohl may be
instructing Kieran on the matter as we type.

> So, in effect, trademarking the name 'Linux' is a panacea for
> keeping big business in line? :)

We wish.

No, but it is effective at preventing a business from trademarking it
and then wielding it against us.

> People will do stupid things for money, and I think the FOSS
> crowd getting involved with this is a big mistake.

Unfortunately, a large number of people who are paid to know about these
things think that if the FOSS organisations -- specifically, those
allied with Linus -- _don't_ get involved in a few selected issues
we're going to get done over by hte next D'ohl.

> How far away is the Hurd anyway?

"Soon".

> Perhaps Ill grow a beard..... ;)

Down to your knees, if you're waiting for industrial strength Hurd.

Cheers; Leon

http://linux.org.au/            Member, Linux Australia