[plug] LMI fees and the Linux trademark (was: The clarion voice of sanity in a slashmob of chaos.)

simon simon at plumtek.com
Wed Aug 17 16:25:25 WST 2005

Craig Ringer (craig at postnewspapers.com.au) wrote:

> On Wed, 2005-08-17 at 06:07 +0000, simon wrote:
>
> What seems to be the issue is that you haven't done a very good job of
> indicating that you've even read the material you've been referred to
> for information, or commented specifically on it. When reading your
> posts it sounds a lot like you're just ignoring this information.

Ofcourse Ive read it. Otherwise I wouldnt be picking holes in it. :)

> Even better, if it's about the FAQ you might want to get in touch with
> the author of the FAQ in question (though he's probably drowning in mail
> after the Slashdot incident) and suggest that he clarify those points.

Wish me luck with that - Ill expect an answer sometime next millenium. I still
dont see why this isnt a topic fit for this list.

> not
>
> "what about $blah2?!!?!"

Point taken. Ill try not to use variables in my emails anymore :)

> Re-reading your posts, your issue appears to be specifically about the
> LMI fees, not about the assignment of the trademark. Is this correct?

Partially. See below.

> If so, I think this may be helpful:
>
> http://lists.linux.org.au/archives/linux-aus/2005-August/msg00084.html
>
> as may this:
>
> http://lwn.net/Articles/140670/
>
> If you have any further questions, I suggest that you ask them with
> reference to the material already provided.

Some of my reservations are merely ethical and not related to points of law.
Thanks for the urls. Id attempt to debate the finer ethical points of this,
but Im afraid someone will drive a Mitsubishi truck through my house :)

Lets just say, after 13 years of untethered use, and the fact that the word
'linux' now means so much more than just the kernel, I find it deplorable that
linus is now trying to stake a claim and people are out of pocket. It mirrors
the mp3 patent debacle.

> That's news to me. Was that from slashdot discussion (or the
> all-too-similar discussion on PLUG) ? I haven't been following in
> detail, having silly things like study and work to do. I didn't see
> anything like that on any of the resources I've sought out for
> authorative information.

Jeremy's FAQ, as provided by Senectus.

--
Simon Scott