[plug] Suse 9.2 install on a Satelite A10. - Oh Joy

Peter Crystal draoidh at iinet.net.au
Wed Aug 17 18:34:23 WST 2005

On Wed, Aug 17, 2005 at 01:49:17AM -0700, Mark Bolton wrote:
> Suse 9.2 install on a Satelite A10.
>
> 1. Run Partition magic. I set the swapfile at 500meg.
> I have 500meg RAM and apparently I dont even need a
> swapfile because of this. I can always resize this if
> this information proves correct but I will err on the
> side of caution for the moment.
>
> 2. "missing operating system" on bootup even though a
> bootable CD is in the drive.
>
> 3. Bios access is <Esc> <F1> really fast as soon as
> the Toshiba splash screen appears on power-up.
>
> 4. set the CD as first in boot sequence

that one caught me out once or twice :)

> 5. Installing.
>
> KDE Runs Fine !! Bluetooth USB dongle ran straight out
> of the box. A pleasing result after spending hours
> getting it to run poorly under bluesoleil. Uploaded
> scinceFriday podcast to my Nokia 6255 - this rocks !!
>
> It wont detect my USB Flashstick.
>
> Wraps :
>

> Thanks to Peter and Harry for the encouragment.
>
> Peter what sound editor would you suggest for single /
> 4 track editing for voiceovers? I currently use
> Soundforge with Windows.

Although I tend to use $audio{expensive} these days
on Windows XP (in part due to my main Linux workstation not
having an audio card any more) I have fond memories of Audicity.
Originally it was fairly basic, but I am told it is quite powerful
to use now.

If you want to go for a more DAW framework I'd suggest Beast or
Ardour. Both are meant to be quite good. Although admittedly I haven't
played with either recently.

However, am glad its working well for you so far.
--
Peter Crystal