[plug] Source Code 'Repository'

Timothy White weirdit at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 16:22:37 WST 2005

I'm looking for a source code manager, or repository application. I've
seen many different ones, and am looking for opinion as to what would
be best.
As my computer isn't online permanently I can't be the one who runs
the server. So firstly it has to work via ssh (i.e. doesn't need root
to setup and install).
Secondly, it needs to be easy to checkout the project from any Linux
computer and work on it and check the changes back in.
It would be really nice if I can have multiple 'groups' of files. I.e.
the working copy has everything. But checking out a version (not the
dev version) would only give you the files needed for that version. So
i could include files that contain notes, API specs... in the dev
version, but they aren't in the releases.
I also need an easy way to have versions. The most current being dev
and then when I'm ready I make another release version. So a person
should be able to check out dev, or a release. being able to check out
intermittent stages would be nice, but not necessary.

Any pointers? I've used svn a bit, but I'm not sure it'd work for what
I want. I've started working with tla but haven't gotten very deep
yet, not sure exactly how it does versions. Same with arch, and cvs,
I've only gotten the code for a project via them, always following a
set of instructions, and never committing them, or selecting a
specific version.

Tim