[plug] new lappy, just move "home" ?

Richard Meyer meyerri at westnet.com.au
Fri Aug 19 12:19:34 WST 2005

On Fri, 2005-08-19 at 08:59 +0800, rpowersau at gmail.com wrote:
> On 8/19/05, Timothy White <weirdit at gmail.com> wrote:
>         On 8/19/05, rpowersau at gmail.com <rpowersau at gmail.com> wrote:
>         >  The only 'gotcha' I hit once was the user id number. My
>         original user
>         > number was  1000. When I installed linux on the new machine
>         by default/habit
>         > I created a user and being the first non-root user its
>         number was also 1000.
>         > When I transfered my original user onto the machine it
>         didn't like the idea
>         > of two users with the same number.  :)
>
>         Nothing a quick chown -R can't fix.
>

> How does that solve having two users with the same id number?  You
> have to remove one of the users, make sure it's gone from the passwd
> file. And I'd assume he'd want to keep the same username.

Then edit /etc/passwd and /etc/group to give the user you keep the
userid and group he was supposed to have.

Or don't delete the first user - just change the name in /etc/passwd
and /etc/group

More than one way to skin a cat.

Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation.
                -- Johnny Hart