[plug] Source Code 'Repository'

Kirk Turner gameldar at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 13:48:18 WST 2005

> > That said, I also find it hard to recommend CVS (because although it's
> > so widespread¸ pretty much all of the alternatives are better), or
> > Subversion (ditto, except for the widespread bit, and it _is_ better
> > than CVS).  If you do use Subversion, I'd recommend avoiding the
> > berkely DB backend at all costs and using fsfs instead.
>
> Seconded with considerable enthusiasm. I steered clear of it until I
> could use fsfs, becuase my experience with Berkley DB with NetATalk and
> other projects has shown that it's either (a) just not robust enough or
> (b) way too hard to tune for reliable operation.
>
> I managed to get a corrupt bdb in my first test of svn some time ago. It
> was a large project, but on a stable machine in a building with
> excellent power (ISP colo).

Thanks for this tip - I've been having lots of troubles with svn
because of the BerkleyDB backend - I'd have to recover the db probably
twice a week. I've now switched it over to using fsfs and it seems a
lot more stable - I guess I need a couple of weeks to confirm this,
but the initial impression is a good one.

Kirk