[plug] Proxy server recommendation

Onno Benschop onno at itmaze.com.au
Sun Aug 21 04:17:24 WST 2005

Russell S. Albee wrote:

>I'd be interested in hearing recommendations on which proxey server you think is
>best.  I'm planning on setting up a proxy server on my ADSL connection primarly
>for cache reasons (save d/l bandwidth), but also "just because" (I'm a network
>geek and this stuff is fun.)

On my personal workstation I run a daisy chain of Privoxy and Squid. The
former removes advertising, the latter caches my traffic.

However, it should be noted that. While squid supports compressed data
transfer, privoxy does not, so you either get a feed that is gzipped and
remove the ads locally, or you get a plain uncompressed feed without ads.

I haven't found a better solution yet.

--
Onno Benschop

Connected via Optus B3 at S34°45'36.5" - E139°00'08.7" (Mount Pleasant, SA)
--
()/)/)()        ..ASCII for Onno..
|>>?            ..EBCDIC for Onno..
--- -. -. ---   ..Morse for Onno..